HPVForum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >HPV >HPV Dating
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hoping for advice / experience

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B181C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hoping for advice / experience
    Posted: 30Aug2013 at 12:49pm
I've done about as much reading on HPV as I think I can, so hopefully come to this slightly educated.

The girl I am with has just told me she has HPV-18 (The dangerous one I know). It's a distance relationship and we haven't had sex yet. I suppose I'm just fretting over my options.

I really do love her, but I can't categorically say I will be with her for the rest of my life. I also understand there is every chance I carry HPV myself anyway. However we both agreed that a relationship without sex is just not an option - it doesn't work. Hence this post of desperation.

Hopefully some things can be cleared up:

1. Her Dr told her she will have it for life. Fact. But I read that 90% of people are clear within 2 years?

2. She said her Dr mentioned some pills she could take to nullify the affects of the virus. Any more information on these? Will she still be able to pass it over?

3.I notice there are vaccines available. I presume these just prevent either warts / cancer risks developing - and I would still be able to carry the virus when vaccinated?
            -It also says it is only available until you are 26, I'm 25 so just fit in. But am Seeing her in 3 months and it says 3 injections are needed for 6 months. Any comment on this would be great? Along with the likelihood of the NHS providing the vaccination.

4. I'm a bit iffy on transferance. For example if my fingers come into contact with her 'area' then I touch myself would that be enough to transfer the virus?

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.
wartman123 View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wartman123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08Nov2013 at 4:10pm
Hey man, let me give you my thoughts.

I've done a ton of research and reading on the virus including medical papers etc. after having had the genital warts strains myself, so I'd consider myself well educated in this.

Before I start, let me say HPV type 18 will rarely affect men in a negative way and very rarely lead to cancer in men it's mostly dangerous in women as it is one of the two strains (the other being type 16) that are found in 90% of cervical cancer cases. If you've already had sex a few times, there's a decent chance you already carry it but your body will probably clear it in your body anyway. This doesn't mean that you could pass it to future partners, so if you had partners after her, it might be worth just telling them that your ex gf had type 18. In my experience most people don't care about HPV types that can't be seen more the genital warts ones because their unsightly. HPV is very very very common, it's practically unavoidable to catch a strain in our lifetime unless you've never had sex and only have one partner who is also a virgin...yes, it's that common so chill out!

Here are my answers to your questions based on what I know of the virus and my opinions...

1. Statistically 90% of people clear within 2 years but I would advise during this time they try to keep their immune system strong. It's her immune system that will 'clear' the virus. Clearing the virus means that the virus is reduced to such low levels that it's practically gone. Doctors themselves have tested women diagnosed years later and can't find any trace of the virus. It takes time for some people's body to understand the virus and identify it and kill it.

Top tips for her boosting immune system - get 7-8 hours sleep daily, don't smoke, reduce drinking, take a good multivitamin, eat lots of healthy food like fruit and vegetables - basically live a healthy life!

2. There are anti-virals or immune boosting medicines that can be taken, so I'm presuming the doctors mean these.

3. The vaccine is only good if you take it before having certain strains. Gardasil protects against the two most common genital warts types (type 6 and 11) and the two most common cancer types (16 and 18). She would have had to have already taken the vaccine before to stop her getting type 18 which you say she's been diagnosed as having. It might still be worth her taking the vaccine to stop her getting other types though, men can also take the vaccine if they want to, so you could get it.

Info on Gardasil - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardasil

You can take Gardasil at any age even over 26. I live in the UK too, the NHS as far as I know are only vaccinating teenage girls around 13/14 before they've started having sex. You could ask your doctor though if you and your gf can get vaccinated against the other types on the NHS. Alternatively, you can pay for the vaccine and this costs about £600 for the whole course if done privately.

4. You could transfer it if you toucher her down there and then touch your penus. It's skin to skin and some studies have found the virus under mens fingernails so it is possible.

I hope this answers your questions man. Again all I would say is relax and tell your gf to relax. In most cases the body will 'clea' the virus. No one knows for sure if this means it's gone completely. So if you ever have future female partners it's worth telling them that she had that type and that way you won't have any guilt if they are happy to sleep with you. It's better to be open about this rather than hide it and feel guilty later. If you've already had sex with her a few times, you may already carry it but it shouldn't affect you, it's up to you if you want to wait months to have sex with her if you're really worried about getting it.

I hope all that makes sense.

Oh and one more thing, their doing research on a therapeutic vaccine for people already carrying types 16 and 18 to help the body identify it, this should be available within the next 3-5 years, here's a link with latest info - http://www.inovio.com/products/cancer-vaccines/cervical-dysplasia/

So hopefully it won't be long until they can help the body identify it and kill it from all cells in the body. I also hope they do this for genital wart types too but that may take longer.

Cheers, keep the faith bro!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic