HPVForum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >HPV >Low risk HPV
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genital warts, oral sex and kissing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anxious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genital warts, oral sex and kissing
    Posted: 21Jul2013 at 7:44am
This question may seem slightly odd, but it has been plaguing my mind for weeks now.

Essentially, I slept with a guy (once) who slept with a girl (twice) who had genital warts. He slept with her years before he slept with me. She wasn't showing symptoms at the time, and he has never shown symptoms since he slept with her. I had protected intercourse and gave/received unprotected oral with him about 10 months ago and have never shown any symptoms.

My concern isn't about sex, but about kissing. I've read a few studies that suggest HPV can be transmitted by an open mouthed kiss, and I obviously don't want to be saying, "I slept with someone who slept with someone with genital warts!" before every kiss.

I've read that, while warts can appear in the mouth from non-genital strains, it is incredibly unlikely to get genital warts in the mouth. Is this true? Statistics show that the risk of acquiring genital warts in the mouth from unprotected oral with someone with genital warts is 1-3%. Given that, can I assume that the risk of me giving someone warts in their mouth with a kiss, when I have never shown symptoms, is almost 0?

Sorry if my concerns seem silly. I have a huge anxiety problem and this specific worry has really been getting me down.

Edited by anxious - 21Jul2013 at 7:45am
wartman123 View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wartman123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08Nov2013 at 4:32pm
Hey,

I've had genital warts and it took me 5-6 years to get rid of recurrent outbreaks. Over the years I've done a ton of research so perhaps I can give you what I believe based on what I've read.

My understanding is that when they've found warts in the mouth or throat, they have sometimes find the same types as those found with genital warts - mostly types 6 and 11 (approx 90% of genital warts caused by these strains).

Usually types associated with head and neck cancer is type 16 from what I've read.

The risk of transferrence and warts/cancer in the mouth is still low but HPV is associated with 90% of the cases where this does occur. Some articles I've read also suggest there is a rise in oral warts and cancers because people give oral sex more these days than they did in the old days. So perhaps this adds to increased transference of HPV to the mouth and throat cells.

I also think the immune system has a big part to play. People these days don't necessarily eat enough fruit and vegetables to help keep the immune system strong. Our parents and their parents had healthier meals generally and didn't eat so much processed food. Because their diet and environment (less pollution) was healthier their immune systems were likely to clear these viruses a lot quicker. This is just my theory on why people's immune systems are generally weaker these days. Also if you smoke then this is really going to compromise your immune function.

Personally it's made me reconsider giving oral sex to women and I don't expect it from anyone unless they want to do it to me. I just think why risk it. However if you're in a loving relationship with someone and you don't care then that's up to you.

So in summary, if you don't want to risk it and you're going to really worry about it and get anxiety, then it might be a good idea to abstain from oral sex completely with your boyfriend. Otherwise carry on. It's entirely your choice at the end of the day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic